Friday, September 24, 2010

Do you remember the day when GOD died?

|author-kbedward|11:54am -visit me here at byitsizepro.co.uk for web development information
 
There are nothing less than 1000 different things that I wish I'd said or asked my father about before he died. Growing up in rural Jamaica during the late 1970's afforded me many nights listening to people tell ghost stories - the more familiar term for me being 'duppy stories'. Did you know that if you are followed by a duppy, the thing to do is to stop and mark an X on the ground and since they can only count to nine they will spend the night there trying to count to X. hey, laugh all you want, I did at first too until another power cut some nights later had me marking more X's around my house than most politicians have to count after a general election. 

It's funny the things we choose to believe or dismiss as myth or just great stories. I mean pretty soon I won't know my Robin hood from my Roman emperors or my Saints from Santa Claus. Christmas used to mark the birth of Jesus - part of a mysterious divine three in one existence - God and man, Father and Son and Spirit ...but even this story is in danger of being forgotten as my world around me increasingly dismisses the 'Christ' from Christmas, in favour of a more acceptable fun filled X-mas. As God he is all-powerful in a way that we cannot fully understand to the point of dying for us, then displaying more power by rising again from the dead. My kids ask me often where he was in the 3 days between being dead and risen again. If I knew that I'd be writing books and chilling on the beach in Jamaica is my usual response.

Belief kills and belief cures - another saying I grew up with, and I'm so glad that I can remember still yet a great many things I've encountered as I live and it is said that our beliefs help shape the way we live and die. I believe therefore in life after death, and that God has demonstrated his power and control over both. I believe in never laughing at someones dream; I believe I can be humble and polite and still not get pushed around; I believe discomfort is necessary for things to change...remember the good things you believe in and get started on changing your view...remember, whatever you believe....God believes in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment