Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Buju Banton said Boom Bye Bye but American Judge says Try try try as drug case declared a mistrial

I'm only going to mention a few main points on this whole Buju Banton court case, not because I'm not aware of alot of the details involved, but mostly because the whole thing irritates me. Why? because guilty or not I can't help but feel that he should have enough money by now to not need to be anywhere near these kinds of ...well call it what you want..temptations, mistakes grrr shenanigans if you will. So let me just jump on the bandwagon and give you some of what you already know plus a few things here or there that you may not have known. Buju was born near Kingston Jamaica, in a neighborhood called Salt Lane but as early as the age of 12, he was picking up the microphone and performing under his other name of "Gargamel" with popular "Sound systems" as we call them in Jamaica. 


In 1998 now aged 15, he first recorded the controversial song, "Boom Bye Bye", (which I feel was good and bad for himwhich contained homophobic lyrics. This was a huge song for buju which got major air play in Jamaica, and around the world (the re-release of this song) and caused controversy with each spin. Where were you when you first heard this song?...well anyway, according to Buju - not like I asked him myself you understand, but from what I could source in Jamaican books and articles on the DJ-  the song was written in response to a widely reported man/boy rape case in Jamaica ....I'd love to know if he has any regrets about that song. I mean for instance, Buju was always controversial, but ever since his career took off in the US, gay rights activists have targeted his shows and he's had to cancel shows in Europe where gay groups say his songs incite violence against homosexuals. Buju ? what can I say - life's full of ups and downs or what.? Now he's in the news for a drug charge case and accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover police officer last year and the 37-year-old singer, whose real name is Mark Myrie by-the-way, has testified that he talked a lot about cocaine, but he was only trying to impress the man,  not secure a drug deal. I can believe this...and will make it a lesson to note myself about showing off or trying to impress people. Buju is also known for songs like one of my favourites - Untold Stories, walk like a champion, browning and many more. He's pleaded not guilty to the charges, but if he is found guilty, he could be sentenced to life in prison. The Judge in the case has declared it a mistrial and it's now put off until December of this year with Buju remanded in custody without bail until the next hearing date. Till then, we can only really speculate on the outcome. Many are predicting he will be released, but I'm not so sure given my personal feelings on American style justice. We'll see,.... and I'll keep blogging this story here and on my other blog sites rather than on my main site byitsizepro.co.uk. Bless up.

No comments:

Post a Comment